“It’s a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy.”
I am 34 years old and I can honestly say that I am a pretty happy & smiley person. I am sure when I was younger that I wasn’t as much as I am now.. ya know, hissy fits when not getting my way as a child, getting mad at my parents when they grounded me as a teenager..etc!
My life is far from perfect — nothing is perfect — but I always smile and push through things. I always say, “if I can make someone smile, even for a second, it makes me feel good”. NOW, if MORE people would smile and be happy, it would make the world a much better place 😉
Too many people focus more on the negative rather than the positive. If you think good thoughts = positive things happen. You think bad thoughts…well what do you think? Negative happens. I make a conscious decision everyday to be happy. There are too many bad things going on in this world, but that does not stop me from smiling every single day. Don’t get me wrong, there are many times where I wake up and it can be tough to be happy.. but I take a few deep breaths and think of something great!
Some things you can do that’ll help your happiness that much more:
- SMILE MORE!
- Meditate and shut your mind off for a few minutes
- Take a walk, sit in the sun, go on a hike
- Compliment someone…anyone! It’s okay to be nice!
- Laugh…Laugh A LOT
- Wake up early. This one really works for me – If I sleep in, I feel blah the entire day.
- Learn something new
- Stop worrying! Most of the things we worry about will never ever happen.
- Always say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’
- Hug your little pup 🙂 (I have a Maltese and let me tell you…she makes me extremely happy!)
- Take a nice peaceful drive in the country
- Take pictures
- Stay off social media.
- Eat healthier (you’ll have more energy too)
- When someone asks “How are you?” Pleaaaaase do not say “ok” or “fine”! Say something positive… “I am great”, “I am doing fantastic”. Practice.. I promise you’ll feel better 🙂
- Remember to always live in the moment. Things are exactly what they are supposed to be right now and trust it.
- Always. Be. Humble. My FAVORITE song – Tim McGraw – “Humble & Kind”
- Forgive. Always. This is super important to stay happy
- Don’t let the weather affect your mood. This is a tough one for me living in Buffalo, where the sun gets lost A LOT. Push through it and keep yourself busy doing something you enjoy.
- NEVER JUDGE PEOPLE
- Play with kids. Talk to them. Anything. They can lift your mood and even teach you things 😉
- Say ‘I Love You’ xoxo
- Do something nice for someone
- Talk to someone new each day. Make new friends.
- Listen when someone is talking & try to help them if you can
“Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” -Buddha
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”
-F. Scott Fitzgerald
What do you do every day that makes you happy?